Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Is sitting too much a disease? It is for me.


I spend a lot of time sitting at the computer, at work and at home. It hurts my back, and lately it's been a factor in my gaining weight. I read in the paper this week that some doctors now believe sitting is so unhealthy you could call it a disease. I believe it. I feel it!

Interactivity research, the science of studying our sedentary existence, suggests that our bodies go into something like a computer's sleep mode when we're slumped at the computer or slouched on the couch watching TV.

A survey of more than 6,000 American adults revealed that we spend about 8 hours a day in a chair. When we sit for so long, our fat-burning enzymes stop working. We may be burning an average of 1,000 fewer calories daily than a generation ago.

It's also well-documented, as any psychologist will tell you, that exercise can be a powerful contributor to our emotional well-being.

What's the solution? Walk as much as you can, even if it means walking up and down the halls at work every couple hours. The more active you are, the more of a routine it becomes. We're creatures of habit, and sitting is a damaging routine.

A book that may be a useful resource: Move a Little, Lose a Lot by Dr. James Levine, who directs the Active Life research team at the Mayo Clinic. The book is co-authored by Selene Yeager.

Source:
"Sit too much? Walk it off"
Charlotte Observer, April 10, 2009.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/464/story/647741.html

Keywords: sitting too much weight gain fat Kneidel Sally Kneidel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sitting a disease? OMGOODNESS! I sit for eight hours @ work..no breaks except an hour lunch where I go to my parents sit at the table to eat lunch and then to her living room and plumb down on her sofa and throw my feet up for 40 minutes then back to work...get off at 6:00...sit in my car to go home which is a 20 minute drive, then plumb myself down in front of the pc for my gazing into a bright light monitor ......I must have this disease for sure....
But what can one do about it? I get up and move around but within in 10 minutes I am back....oh my oh my .....just send me Red Roses and White Shasta Daisy please!
This was a good article a good read

Sally Kneidel, PhD said...

Hi joybug56. That sounds about like my work day. Thanks for your comment! Sally K.