Wednesday, November 23, 2005
VEGAN HOLIDAY STUFFING, WITHOUT THE BIRD
After watching the traditional stuffing being scooped right out of the turkey's rear end, you may want to take this vegan stuffing to your family's Thanksgiving dinner. It's from our book Veggie Revolution (see amazon), pg 197.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Tear 10 slices of whole wheat bread, crusts and all, into small shreds. Place the shreds in a large casserole dish and bake for a few minutes, until the bread is well toasted.
3. Meanwhile, thinly slice
1 medium onion
3 stalks celery
2 large carrots, peeled
and saute in 2 tablespoons oil until the onion is translucent.
4. Remove the bread from the oven and add the onion mixture, as well as
3 tablespoons raisins
1 diced Granny Smith apple (or other tart apple)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped pecans
5. Sprinkle with
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon thyme
2 tsp sage
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt (to taste)
1/4 tsp black pepper
6. Drizzle with 1 and 1/2 cups vegetable stock and toss gently.
7. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Toss and serve. Serves 12.